You can add the same app multiple times, but why?
Wondering how to add an app to multiple iPhone home screens?
Until iOS 15, you could never do this. However, with the release of iOS 15 Apple changed the number of times the same app could be added to a Home screen. Here’s what you need to know…
Why can you now put the same app on multiple home screens?
The short answer is due to the new Focus mode in iOS 15. Focus lets you configure certain home screens to be temporarily disabled when you’re in a certain focus. For example, if you’re home from work, you can put your iPhone into “family time” Focus mode. This would mean that if you have a Work home screen set up, that screen and all apps will be disabled for a period of time while your family’s Focus mode is in effect.
However, in this example, it’s easy to see how some people might still want to access certain work apps even when they’re with family. This could include an application like WhatsAppthat they can use for work and family.
So with iOS 15Apple now allows the same app to be placed on multiple home screens, ensuring the app can be used if it’s on two home screensone of which was disabled by Focus mode.
Does the same app on multiple home screens mean I have two copies of the app?
No. You still only have one version of the app, which means you don’t take up more space on your iPhone either. When an app is on multiple home screens, it is actually just an icon and not the app itself.
Even though you will see multiple icons, they all refer to the same single app on your iPhone.
How to Add an App to Multiple iPhone Home Screens
Adding the same app to multiple iPhone home screens is relatively easy. Here’s how:
- On your iPhone, swipe left until you reach the App Library. The App Library is on the last page after all your home screens.
- Find the app you want to add to multiple home screens. You can do this by browsing through smart folders or by simply tapping the search field on the Apple Library screen and searching for the app alphabetically.
- Once you find the app, tap its icon in the app library until it wiggles. Immediately the app library will disappear and you will be on the nearest home screen. The app you selected will show a green + mark on it.
- Drag the app icon to the home screen of your choice and lift your finger from it. When you release it, it will take its place on the home screen you selected.
- Tap Done in the upper right corner of the screen.
How do I remove an app from multiple home screens?
If you decide later that you don’t want the same app on multiple Home screens, you can remove its icon. Just do the following:
- Press and hold the app icon.
- In the pop-up menu, tap Delete app.
- Now tap “Remove from Home Screen”. IMPORTANT: Do NOT tap “Delete App” as this will completely remove the app from your iPhone. You only need to tap “Remove from Home Screen”. This ensures that the extra copy of the app you selected is removed from its home screen only.
And that’s all! This is how you add the same app to multiple home screens on your iPhone running iOS 15.
Apple expert and novelist, Michael Grothaus has been covering technology on KnowYourMobile for almost 10 years. Before that, he worked at Apple. And before that, he was a film journalist. Michael is a published author; his book Epiphany Jones was voted one of the best Hollywood novels by Weekly entertainment. Michael is also a writer for other publications, including VICE and Fast Company.