TikTok shared a a handful of new features Thursday including the ability to use GIFs in its green screen effect. This means that you can virtually project a GIF, instead of a simple still image, behind you while shooting a video. Other updates include a visual enhancement tool to improve exposure and incorporate color correction, higher quality downloads, and new musical and animal voice effects.
The app’s green screen effect is incredibly popular. The creators have used it to set the scene for various videos by uploading images of different places, people and settings. This can make the skits a bit more realistic or add layers to a joke. Now, users can also add animated images, or GIFs, behind them to enhance their creations.
Here’s how to add GIFs via TikTok’s green screen effect:
- Open the TikTok app and click on the plus icon (+) at the bottom of the screen to create a new video.
- At the bottom left of the screen you’ll see a button that says Effects. Click on it.
- Go to Tendency tab and select the green screen effect. It looks like an image of hills and a sun on a green background, with a white down arrow below. (If you don’t see it there, go to the Green screen tab and you will find it.)
- When you tap on the green screen effect, you will see a bar appear with a plus sign to the left, a GIPHY icon, and images from your gallery. Click on the GIPHY icon.
- You will now be able to search for GIFs in GIPHY to add to your video’s green screen.
TikTok’s other updates are also designed to improve user creations, such as the new visual enhancement button, which improves the look of your videos by fixing lighting or color issues. To try it out, record or upload a video in TikTok and tap the To improve button on the right panel of the screen. Click it again to cancel the effect.
Another new feature allows you to make any sound or voice in a video sound like an animal or musical instrument, like a cat’s meow or a flute flute. To use the feature, record your video and on the edit page, tap Voice effects of the right panel. Then you can choose the desired effect.
Finally, TikTokers in “some countries” can now download 1080p video. To do this, record or upload your video to TikTok, and on the post page, tap More options. Hit the HD Download toggle button to post higher quality content.